This dish has become one of my favorite tempeh recipes and it can be made in only 30 minutes…how’s that for fitting into a busy life? I added roasted kabocha squash, steamed kale and good old short grain brown rice. The pickle is “Crimson Kraut” a mild Kimchi made by Hosta Hill. Hosta Hill also made the tempeh I used for this recipe. Learn more about them at this link
So here is the recipe for Orange Pan Glazed Tempeh:
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 Teaspoons tamari (or shoyu)
1 ½ Tablespoon mirin
2 Teaspoons maple syrup
½ Teaspoon ground coriander
2 small cloves garlic, crushed
10 ounces tempeh (or extra firm tofu)
2 Tablespoons olive oil (use light as extra virgin will smoke)
Optional – cilantro
1) Squeeze juice and place it in a small bowl.
2) Grate the ginger over the bowl making sure to add the juice.
3) Mix together the tamari, mirin, maple syrup, ground coriander and garlic. Set aside this mixture.
4) Cut the tempeh (or tofu) into bite size pieces (if working with tofu, pat dry and then cut up)
5) Heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
6) Add the tempeh and sautee for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
7) Pout the orange juice over the tempeh and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes until the sauce has reduced to a nice glaze.
8) Make sure to turn the tempeh while the sauce reduces to prevent sticking.
9) Serve the tempeh with grain side dish. Drizzle the remaining tamari sauce mixture over the top.
10) Add lime juice and cilantro if desired.