I’m sharing a simple and delicious recipe for you. This one was the favorite during my demonstration at the Pittsfield Farmers Market in June.
I’ll be back at the Market on July 20th with new, simple recipes that you can sample while browsing the market!
Sweet Corn Millet Croquettes
3 ¼ cups boiling water
1 cup millet, washed and soaked overnight
2 cups sweet corn
1 small onion diced small
1 grated carrot
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp umeboshi vinegar, or to taste
½ tsp shoyu or tamari sauce
½ cup scallions or parsley
1) Heat small amount of oil in a heavy skillet medium high heat
2) Add the millet and sauté 2 minutes stirring constantly
3) Add onions and sauté another 2-3 minutes stirring constantly
4) Add garlic, carrots and continue sauté 2-3 minutes adding corn to combine all ingredients
5) Add boiling water to millet mixture and turn down to low, cook for about 30 minutes checking often to see millet is not sticking to bottom of skillet. Add more water if needed
6) Once cooked add parsley or scallions and mix thoroughly. Allow to cool so you can handle millet mixture.
7) Place half the mixture in a food processor and blend until paste then add back into remaining millet.
8) Form the mixture into 6 equal sized croquettes
9) Heat oil in skillet and add croquettes, cook 5 minutes on each side.
10) Remove from pan and set in warm oven
1 cup veganaise
1 small bunch chives snipped small
1 tsp lemon juice or ½ tsp umeboshi vinegar
1 Tblsp olive oil
Pinch sea salt
Mix together ingredients and use to top millet croquettes.
Remember to stop by my booth and pick up some new recipes to add to your favorite whole foods recipe box.
Enjoy this fantastic summer weather!